News and Projects
Here you will find regular updates on the following, click each link to jump to that section:
- Many costumes have been used over the years in past Georgian Fairs, which have now been collected into an archive. This important resource is now available to the community, please see the link in Resources for details.
- There are two links in Related Links for those interested in Roman history and archaeological remains in Papcastle, discovered during recent digs. The Discover Derventio website looks specifically at the most recent dig in Papcastle, with lots of photos and information about the skeleton and artefacts discovered there. Anyone interested in taking part in future digs can also make contact, via this website, with the person in charge of the project, Mark Graham. The Grampus Heritage site looks more generally at archaeology projects undertaken by the company of the same name, locally and further afield.
- We are still looking for photos and personal accounts relating to the Cockermouth floods (both 2009 and 2015) to add to our archives. We have received many accounts which detail the personal impact that the floods had, and we are keen to collect more. This will be an important record in years to come - please get in touch.
- New acquisitions include many photographic albums detailing school-life at the former Cockermouth Grammar School from the 1940s onwards: theatrical productions, form photographs, sports teams, outings. We hope to be able to put these on display at future exhibitions.
- Our summer 2018 exhibition at the Kirkgate Centre will be looking at the end of World War I and its aftermath. It will also include work on the Suffragettes, and the role of women at that time. The exhibition will be Monday 31st July to Sunday 12th August inclusive, 10-4 daily, with free admission.
Back to top of page
- We have an ongoing project to record all the memorial inscriptions in Cockermouth Cemetery, which will provide a useful tool for family historians in particular. The older half of the cemetery has been completed by a team of volunteers – many thanks to them for their resilience in the face of inclement weather! This project has taken much longer than originally envisaged, but we are confident that it will prove to be a very useful resource. Work will begin shortly on recording the headstones in the other half of the Cemetery – any volunteers will be warmly welcomed! Current listings can be found in Resources
- Cockermouth's Theatrical History - A Pictorial History - A link to this site can be found in
- We are currently undertaking a major cataloguing project of all our artefacts and photographs (using a cataloguing programme called MODES) which, when completed, will make locating items for exhibitions and research much easier and quicker.